Making Sports Safer For The Next Generation of Athletes
Do You Have The Courage To Impact The Lives Of Hundreds Of Thousands Of Athletes?
Give Me An Afternoon, And I Will Help You Protect Your Athletes
Let's face it. Sports have become an enormous part of our lives and part of society as a whole. I remember the early days of ESPN. Now there are numerous television channels that show sports 24 hours a day. The internet and sports talk radio help make athletes famous but also expose them to scrutiny from fans and the media around the clock.
And more than ever, injuries seem to affect what we see on the field or court.
As I write in my book That's Gotta Hurt: The Injuries That Changed Sports Forever, sports medicine has had a greater impact on sports and the athletes who play them than any other factor over the last four or five decades – even more than any coaching or training program. We have developed new treatments, surgeries and injury prevention programs to help athletes return to play faster than ever, and the sports have changed their rules or adopted equipment to better protect the athletes. Unfortunately, in many ways sports are more dangerous than ever.
It’s time we all take steps to reverse that trend.
The Best Time To Educate Athletes About Injuries
- Why athletes hiding injuries is so dangerous, no matter the type of injury or the sport played
- The key benefit of having concussion spotters at games…and not just for football
- The unseen consequences of concussions…Doctors, athletic trainers, coaches and parents need to understand these issues and look for them.
How To Treat And Prevent Serious Injuries At Football Games And Other Sporting Events
- EMS and ambulances should be present at every sporting event, right? Well, it’s not always possible. Here’s why, and here are some steps to take to prepare for medical emergencies if they aren’t present.
- One simple piece of equipment could prevent catastrophic injuries to pitchers and batters…and why most of them will never wear them
- A fancy helmet can protect your kids from concussions, yes? No! Or not necessarily…Here’s the key information you need to consider.
The Surprising Secrets Of Sports Training Injuries
- Why summer practices can be deadly…and how simple steps can prevent almost every athlete from dying
- The dangers of extreme offseason workouts…This one medical condition is surprisingly common, but you can avoid it.
- Why extreme action sports are so dangerous…And why parents need to watch the stunts their kids are trying
Why Don’t More Athletes Take Their Health Seriously?
- Why mental health struggles are surprisingly common in sports: Here’s what you should look for to recognize a problem.
- Why we need to get control over pain issues in sports now: Narcotics are not the answer
- Why athletes ignore their long-term health to play now
The Future Of Youth Sports
- What parents should know about football for their kids: Here are the positives and negatives everyone must recognize.
- Why specializing in one sport at an early age is not helpful…and actually it can harm young kids
- The one medical professional who should be at all practices and games…You need to talk to your coach or athletic director about it!
Who Else Wants To Prevent Serious Sports Injuries
- What athletes need to understand about CTE…and how sports might need to change to deal with the risk
- The challenges with screening for heart conditions that could cause sudden death…Understand the pros and cons so you can decide what you should do.
- Why Tommy John surgeries are more common than ever…but your kids can avoid them if you follow these strategies.